A HISTORY OF OUR CHURCH
The church traces its origins to the establishment of the town of Yarmouth in 1639. In the early years, south shore settlers walked or traveled by ox cart to worship in the original meetinghouse (now the First Congregational Church of Yarmouth). In 1794 a meetinghouse for south shore residents was built on Main Street (Route 28) at the corner of South Sea Avenue, where the West Yarmouth Post Office now stands. The pastor of the First Congregational church conducted services in both north and south shore locations.
In 1835, a more modern structure, complete with the horse sheds characteristic of the era, replaced the 1794 building; this "new" meetinghouse still serves as our place of worship. By 1840, sixty-four members had organized a separate fellowship, initially called the South Congregational Church, and the business affairs of the new church were given into the care of the South Evangelical Society. Eventually the church took the name West Yarmouth Congregational Church.
Through the years, pastors of neighboring villages gave part-time leadership to the congregation, and the Massachusetts Home Mission Society gave its support. In the year 1907, the meetinghouse was moved to its present location and services were held for the first time at the new site on March 12, 1908.
Another important step was taken in 1956 when a full-time minister was called and an extensive building program was begun, which was completed in 1964.
We became affiliated with the United Church of Christ by vote of the annual church meeting in 1961, and we serve in wider mission through the Barnstable Association and the Southern New England Conference of the United Church of Christ. Ecumenically, we share in the work of the Cape Cod Council of Churches.
Our church seeks to minister to the whole community of the Mid-Cape area. Newcomers are encouraged to contact the church and meet with the pastor. We hope you will feel at home here and will join with us in Christ's ministry.
West Yarmouth Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
383 Main Street, West Yarmouth, MA 02673